DREAM VOLUNTEERS COVID-19 UPDATE
October 4, 2021
Travel Policies & Protocols
In order to be prepared, should the circumstances allow for it, we are scheduling tentative dates for summer trips. The trips will only take place if we determine, within two months of the trip date, that the risk is relatively low for both our travelers and our hosts. The three main factors in that determination will be:
- progress with the vaccine distribution
- caseload in the destination region
- caseload in the participants’ home region
Should the trips take place, all participants will:
- be fully vaccinated for more than 14 days before the departure date (approved vaccines are Pfizer, Moderna and Johnson & Johnson)
- notify a Dream Volunteers representative should any COVID-19 symptoms appear within 72 hours of departure
- notify a Dream Volunteers representative should there be exposure to anyone testing positive for COVID-19 within 7 days of departure
Protocols During Trip
While in transit and in the host country, participants will:
- wear an approved mask* at all times, except during approved mask-less activities such as sleeping and eating
- maintain at least 6 feet of distance from anyone not affiliated with your Dream Volunteers group (except when on the plane)
*an approved mask will have at least two layers of fabric and fit snugly with no gaps on the sides
Should Dream Volunteers determine that, due to COVID-19 conditions, the risk is too high to travel resulting in a canceled trip prior to the departure date, all money paid up to that point, except airfare, will be automatically refunded without question. Airfare refunds will be based on the policies of the particular airline.
Should Dream Volunteers be forced to end the trip early due to an outbreak while already in the host country, we will work with the airline to safely bring the group home as quickly as possible. Any unspent funds that we are able to retrieve will be refunded less any expenses for changing the return flight.
Entry Requirements in Host Countries
It’s possible that these requirements will change prior to the summer. We will update them as necessary.
Currently, Costa Rica has the following entry requirements:
- complete the online form for Costa Rica called Health Pass
- proof of vaccine
Currently, Guatemala has the following entry requirements:
- complete the online form for Guatemala called Health Pass
- must present a negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test result taken within 96 hours of flight departure
Currently, Ghana has the following entry requirements:
- complete the online form for Ghana called Health Declaration Form
- must present a negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test result taken within 72 hours of flight departure
Re-entry Requirements in the US
Currently, the CDC is requiring all passengers entering the United States (including U.S. citizens and Legal Permanent Residents) to present a negative COVID-19 test, taken within three calendar days of departure. If this rule is still in place in when our group is traveling, then we will ensure that each participant takes a test. We have already identified clinics where our groups can get tested should it be necessary.